The town boasts a four-year institution of higher learning, the University of Mount Olive. Wayne Community College is located in Goldsboro. In Duplin County, the area is served by James Sprunt Community College, North Duplin Elementary and North Duplin Junior/Senior High School. Customized training and programs for businesses and industries provided by our schools and institutions are a plus in the area’s industrial recruitment.
The Wayne County Public School system is one of the largest in southeastern NC. Programs are offered to students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Students, staff and programs in the county have received regional and state recognition for outstanding achievement. Local schools include Carver Elementary, Mount Olive Middle, Southern Wayne High School, Spring Creek Elementary, Spring Creek Middle and Spring Creek High School.
The North Carolina Employment Security Commission has computer terminals in state offices and libraries that give access job listings, labor market information, unemployment insurance news and more. To access ESC online: www.ncesc.com or visit the office located in Goldsboro.
Labor Force (Wayne County 2014)
Total Employment: 33,742
Top 10 Employers
- Seymour Johnson Air Force Base (Defense) 6,730
- Wayne County Public Schools (Education) 3,046
- Wayne Memorial Hospital (Health Care) 1,804
- County of Wayne (Government) 1,258
- Case Farms, Inc. (Poultry) 1,098
- Cherry Hospital (State Hospital) 956
- Cooper Standard (Automotive) 938
- O’Berry Hospital (State Hospital) 859
- Goldsboro Milling Company (Poultry) 800
- Olive Pickle Company (Pickles) 625